Suzanne Lyons Bio
- BA, Physics UC Berkeley
- California Single Subject Teaching Credential (Physical Science)
- MA, Earth Science, California State University Sacramento
- MA, Science Education, Stanford University
- Textbook Author Conceptual Integrated Science (introductory college level) Co-authored by Paul Hewitt, John Suchocki and Jennifer Yeh. Pearson Education, 2005 (1st Edition); 2012 (2nd Edition)
- Conceptual Integrated Science- Explorations (9th-grade level). Co-authored by Paul Hewitt, John Suchocki and Jennifer Yeh. Pearson Education, 2008
- Author/Illustrator, Minds-On Hands-On Activity Book. Pearson Education. 2001 (1st Edition); 2004 (2st Edition), 2008 (3nd Edition)
Author Empowering Young Voices for the Planet, A Teaching Manual for Climate Change Education. Co-authored by Lynne Cherry and Juliana Texley. Corwin 2015.
- Author, Illustrator The Cooperative Games Bullying Prevention Program. Better World Education, 2015.
- Author, e-book Cooperative Games, Antidote to Excess Competition Cooperative Games.com, 2012
- Development Editor, Weather and Climate, a Middle School Science Program Teacher’s Curriculum Institute. 2015-2016.
- Children’s Book Author: Pete Discovers Gravity; Oops! Why Did I Do That; Electricity Adds Up; Gravity. Benchmark Education 2004
- Contributing Writer, Developmental Editor, or Project Editor of a wide variety of science texts including McGraw-Hill Science 2003; Chemistry, Visualizing Matter Holt, Rinehart, and Winston 1995; Merrill Physics 2006;
- Product Supervisor from Conception through Production, The Learning Center Activity Cards for K-6 Science, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
- Developmental Editor of Conceptual Physics over the course of many years and numerous editions.
Full-Time Teaching Positions
- Honors Physics and General Science Teacher, Mountain View High School, Mountain View, California
- Middle School Math Teacher, Oakland Public Schools, Oakland, California
- Exhibit Explainer at The Exploratorium, San Francisco
- Exhibit Creator for the Chemistry Education for Public Understanding Project, Lawrence Hall of Science, U.C. Berkeley
- Founder CooperativeGames.com (2009)
- Owner Child and Nature Company (since 2009)
- Founder HolisticScienceEducation.com (2012)
Family (two young-adult children and a supportive partner); Work (science-nature-teaching-art-writing-philosophy-game design-educational materials development); Connecting with Nature (hiking-backpacking-natural food-spending time outdoors every day); Community (living in the mountains-supporting community groups-cooking-nice people.)
Suzanne Lyons M.A., M.A., is an educator, author, and developer of educational materials. This site gives you a look at some of the science education resources she has created in her over 20 years of educational publishing. There is work from the deep past as well as her latest and greatest stuff.
Suzanne’s career began in informal education, developing exhibits for the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley, California. She moved on to teaching middle school science and math in the Oakland Public Schools. She later taught honors physics and general science at Mountain View High School, in Mountain View California. She has also taught science at the elementary school level and been a lecturer to teachers in University level science education courses as well.
Always a lover of writing and art as well as science and teaching, Suzanne has spent the bulk of her career in educational publishing, creating all kinds of educational materials for teachers. As a development editor, contributing writer, and author/illustrator, Suzanne has created books, games, lab manuals, tutorials, and more for all levels from kindergarten through college. Her published works are characterized by a fun look-and-feel at the same time that they display a high regard for accuracy and thoroughness.
Follow Up Page Info – Not sure it really makes sense to link them to this page and only provide 2 more paragraphs??? should we repeat the above info????? DISCUSSION
Suzanne began the educational publishing part of her career as a developmental editor at Addison-Wesley Publishing Company in Menlo Park, California. Over the years, she became an author as well as an editor. Suzanne’s first textbook program, which she co-authored with Paul Hewitt, John Suchocki, and Jennifer Yeh, is called Conceptual Integrated Science. The first edition was published by Pearson Education in 2005.
In recent years, Suzanne has become an independent publisher and educational developer. In her independent work, Suzanne specializes in teaching tools that combine science with art and with play as well as connection to nature. In 2009, she became owner of the small company Child and Nature and she founded CooperativeGames.com. In 2017, she published the website HolisticScienceEducation.com as well.
As times have changed, Suzanne has changed as a person and an educator. While science concepts will always be the core of any science curriculum, Suzanne has found that integrating science with other subjects—from art to the humanities to social-emotional learning—can make science come alive for everyone.